Pages

Saturday, September 18, 2010

In My Spare Time

The fact that I'm an Elvis fan keeps spreading through the walls at the university where I've been working since December last year. I've written about one aspect of this before, in a post called Preseucoila imallshookupis. Here's another:

Being a public relations officer, I'm in frequent contact with the editor of the official news magazine for the staff at the university. Recently he and I became friends on Facebook, and not long after that I got a message from him, telling me he didn't have a clue I was such a dedicated Elvis fan, running a blog and working on a book. Obviously, he'd found the link on Facebook to my blog.

The editor then told me he was deeply impressed with people taking their hobbies seriously, and asked me if I would like to be portrayed in the magazine under the headline In my spare time.

Writing back, I answered that I would very much like to be interviewed. But when he replied if it was OK to take a photo of me at home, in the special room with Elvis stuff he assumed I had ("and maybe a jumpsuit too") I got cold feet. In no uncertain terms I told him it was alright to photograph me in front of my CD records, but that I didn't have a room solely with Elvis things and that I certainly didn't own a jumpsuit!

In the editor's next answer, he told me not to worry, that it would be a serious, well at least "half-serious" article. I guess we'll find out later this autumn when the interview will have taken place and the article has been published. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Random Ntrygg said...

That magazine sounds a little sketchy to me.

Why are they assuming you (or all or most fans) have an Elvis room?

Thomas said...

Hi Random!

Yeah, that's unfortunately an all too common reaction. Also, that just because you're a fan you like to dress up like Elvis and wear his type of sun glasses.

Still, I think I made it clear to the editor, that this isn't the case. At least, I hope I did.

Thanks for visiting my blog, by the way!