Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Don't Think Twice, It's All Right

Seems my brother was kind of right when he guessed how the FTD treatment of Elvis (Fool) was going to play out. "I think the track listing for the aborted, original Fool album will also be included," he told me over the phone a while ago. And here are the official details released yesterday:

Originally released in 1973, the track listing was changed substantially before its commercial release. Here for the first time, ALL the proposed recordings are in included for the first time.
In addition it features great unreleased outtakes plus a 12-page booklet with great photographs and wonderful unseen memorabilia. As a treat it features plenty of unreleased Outtakes, Steamroller Blues (45rpm mix) and the longest 'Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right' unedited at over 11 minutes.


So, definitely something to look forward to. I have to admit I was afraid there would be no long version of "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right," as we already got the unedited master (9:16) on Elvis Now. But this time around it seems we'll get the real unedited version, running a little over 11 minutes. Finally!

I also have to comment the cover used for the other upcoming FTD release Elvis As Recorded At Boston Garden '71. It's one of the best I've seen since I Sing All Kinds, and it's a nice tribute to Elvis As Recorded At Madison Square Garden. As for the show itself, recorded on November 10, 1971, this is what FTD has to say:

Still at the height of his power, Elvis received critical acclaim for this show and now this official release finally makes it available for fans around the world. With so few live recordings available from this period, this is a key release for anyone’s collection.

Still not sure if you're going to buy it? Maybe this will help you change your mind.

2 comments:

MĂ„rtenbrother said...

I just examined the track listing for the Fool FTD and I think it looks great! Here we get the June takes of Until It's Time For You To Go, and unreleased takes of My Way too!
The only thing missing now is the duet version(s?) of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face. Well, well, I can always put on my Rough Cut Diamonds vol. 2 LP ...

Anonymous said...

They forgot it on Elvis Now and won't include it in Elvis Fool, now I know I will have to buy a bootleg if I ever want the undubbed version of "We Can Make The Morning". Very sad...