Pages

Friday, February 22, 2008

Let's have a karaoke party!

A couple of days ago I was at a party where the main attraction was some karaoke after dinner. Most of the people who were there know I love Elvis, so pretty soon I was standing in front of the TV screen, pouring my heart out.

Yep, I admit that I do like singing karaoke, especially when there's a chance to show the audience some Elvis moves. This time I kicked off with "Don't Be Cruel" complete with the arm-action as seen on the third Ed Sullivan Show where Elvis was shot from the waist up. (Didn't have the golden vest, though.)

I always take great pride in not looking at the lyrics when I sing. So when I told the now ecstatic (?) audience that I was going to sing "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" and then looked right at the screen I guess they became a little bit confused.

My wife, who also was at the party, told me someone asked her why I was singing like that when I obviously knew the lyrics. "That's because Elvis does it like that," she sighed. "He will turn around any second."

And turn around I did, doing my best imitation of Elvis from TTWII with a grin on my face, not knowing my secret was out. But when I went down on my knees, I think even my wife was surprised. "Baby, baby, I get down on my knees for you..."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good writing! Rock on!