Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2007

When Elvis met Chuck Berry in Las Vegas

I know a guy at work who lived for a while in Las Vegas during the seventies. And yes, he saw Elvis perform there one time, something I like to ask him about over and over. But today, he told me another interesting story involving Elvis. Here it is:

The year is 1974. The time 2.30 a.m. My colleague is sitting with a friend watching a lounge show at The Las Vegas Hilton. A lounge show, he explained to me, is a show in a smaller showroom where you can sit and drink and watch an act.

Anyway, this time they are watching Chuck Berry. Suddenly they hear something happening behind their backs, and turn around. There, two guards have suddenly materialised, and in walks Sammy Davis Jr together with Elvis Presley. And they have a couple of girls with them, too.

Sammy Davis Jr and Elvis are then being lead to a booth at the front of the stage and sit down. At the same time, more and more people in the audience realise who are now with them. So does Chuck Berry who abruptly stops singing and playing.

In that moment, Elvis waves at Chuck Berry, and Chuck Berry waves back. "Hello Elvis. Long time ago," says Chuck Berry and leaps into the familiar intro of "Memphis, Tennessee".

This is a great little story I've never heard before, and I think it’s both fascinating and funny. I hope you do too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Thomas! That was a great story! Nice to see you've started an Elvis blog, I certainly will come here often. We haven't seen each other in a long time, but I hope you're doing fine!
Take care/Tomas

Thomas said...

Hello Tomas!

I´m glad you read my blog and liked the story. Maybe we will be bumping into each other in the future. Until then, you take care, too/Thomas